Latest News

I CAN NOT QUIT ACTING SAID RMD

DAILY INDEPENDENT - Delta State Commissioner for Culture and Tourism, Richard Mofe-Damijo, who is an actor and lawyer, in this chat with REPORTER, Lucy Ezeliora, in Asaba, explains why more Nollywood stars are in political offices and why the government needs to support the movie industry.

The INTERVIEW:
What was last year like for you and how do you see 2014?
Last year was a success, especially in the entertainment industry and in Delta State as a whole. I feel this year will be better and great, by the special grace of God. All we need is prayers and good plan, and then God will see us through.
You are over 50 but look much younger and still handsome; what is the secret and how do you handle your female admirers?
Good food and prayers. Sincerely, I pray a lot and eat very well. I believe that is why I am looking this way. It is God. He has been by my side, from the beginning till this very moment. This is what I tell everybody who has asked me this same question. I believe that God has anointed everybody specially, and it is that same anointing that is keeping me.
For my female fans, God will bless them for admirering me more. When you are in the entertainment business (especially as a male), the tendency is for you to always have female admirers. It is flattering when you find things like that. You just smile and try to make her keep her dignity by being friendly. Sometimes, it comes with a lot of personal challenges, but sometimes some of them get over-enthusiastic. But it is all in a day’s job.
So how does your wife react each time ladies admire you?
She understands her man and the job properly. She was in the business for a while; so, she knows the challenges. We’ve been together since 1996; we’ve been married for 14 years now. I am sure by now she has grown a thick skin (laughs). But I usually try not to take unknown phone calls after 9 p.m., so that I can relax my brain for the next day’s activities.
Since you went into politics, we have not been seeing much of you on the screen. I hope your position as commissioner is not too demanding?
Well, every political appointment is stressful. But that doesn’t mean I have quit acting. The truth is that I am now a very busy person. I rearly have time for myself. Although my appointment is still very close to what I was previously doing, even if I am not in front of the camera. Presently, I still make sure that I expose people to the front of the cameras in as many ways that I can. I remember when I had a break in-between the transition period; I also went to do a television series called ‘Tinsel’ just to be in touch with my other constituency. I admit that they miss me, but this is also a call that demands a kind of service to my people and I am enjoying the fact that I am able to serve in that capacity.
You are among those actors that are scandal-free, how did you manage to achieve this?
I think it is just my kind of person. I am an easy going and very busy person. I don’t give room for scandals and I avoid engaging myself in situations that will give room for gossips.
Can you talk about your journey into acting?
I actually studied theatre arts at the University of Benin before getting into acting in 1983. My first acting role was in a soap opera called “Ripples” from there the story kicks off down to where I am today.
Do you see yourself retiring from acting?
Never! Nothing can make me to stop acting. It is what I enjoy doing; so why will I quit?
Why do you think many of your collegues in Nollywood, are taking up political appointment; is it because of the huge income in politics?
The money is there and another thing is personal decision. Many of my collegues are being appointed because the people believe they are good and can perform or even do better. Even when I saw this on my appointment letter, I was amazed by the sheer coinage of that office and it is as a result of that a lot of my colleagues are being offered political appointments. In fact, I have been making cases for my colleagues anytime I see one or two governors; I appeal to them, you better get somebody to watch this area directly in your state. I thank God for people like Bob Manuel, Tony OneWeek, Nkiru Sylvanus, Okey Bakassi and others. (Governor Adams) Oshiomhole also appointed Maleke and Efex – into his government. It’s as a result of what one has been able to do here in line with the vision of Governor Uduaghan. You will never know, tomorrow, in another eight years, you’ll just find that the entertainment sector in every state is becoming as important as other ministries.
What in your opinion has changed in the industry; has there been any changes compared to your early days?
In the early days of Nollywood we concentrated more on stories that had a lot of morality tales as it were. They were dramatic films; films that our people could relate to easily. We were coming from a tradition of tele-movies, so most of the movies made in the early days I participated in, were films that fed from the tradition of made-for-TV movies through the NTA, Nigerian Television Authority. But today it has evolved, there have been more adventurous. First, the industry is being discovered by foreigners, people are beginning to look at the films more critically and filmmakers are beginning to take themselves more seriously. Directors and producers are working harder while the films are getting bolder. There is a deliberate movement now to do a lot of collaboration with other cinema making cultures. For instance, we have done films with Bollywood directors and of course there are mixed productions now between Nigerian actors and North American actors. That’s where we are now. We are in an era where we are seeking more collaboration with movie makers from other cultures. A lot of the serious filmmakers, who are independent, are now producing movies not for direct release to video anymore, but for the cinemagoers. In itself, it is an improvement and in turn it has improved digital technology, sound quality, the settings and the quality of acting itself. A lot more filmmakers that have studied in New York, NYU, ULA, in Europe are now coming back home and doing fantastic movies; like Emem Isong now has Royal Arts Academy, while Desmond Elliot, Uche Jumbo and Amaka Igwe has already blazed that trail; same to Ego Boyo, Rita Dominic . Look at the effect of Figurine by Afolayan; look at what Kelani does with Maami. Look at the effect of Ije. Today, with Last Flight to Abuja, Omotola has made the list of 100 most influential people. and others. My goodness, there’s no way you cannot see where all of these are headed. That is why I said tracking – you never know where it is going to end. Each time we have made Time magazine and we are seen in good light, it is a Soyinka, it is Achebe, Chimamanda; now it’s an Omotola, Genevieve, you know. The number just keeps growing. It just tells you that it’s a sector you cannot ignore. It’s important that government look at that area and liberalise and fund it. So naturally the quality has improved in a lot of ways.
Today, you are a commissioner, will you be seeking an elective office may be in next year?
We are in the system now. When we finish this one, we will know what next to do. But for now, I’m happy doing what I’m doing.
How can the Nigerian government support Nollywood?
So many ways, because I believe the industry need funds. Although from the federal government, there have been funds specified for different areas to develop the movie industry. I just wish that there is a policy that ensures continuity and sustenance. We don’t need intervention funds alone; we need funding such that every year, the entertainment industry or the Nigerian movie industry will have money; not intervention.
What project are you currently working on in Delta state?
We have so many projects on ground. Remember, our policies are liberal towards the development of new young talent, so we are either working on one show or the other, especially in the areas of comedy, dance, music or of course acting. And we keep organising these talent shows just to encourage the youths in the state. As I speak to you, we have discovered a few people in different genres of the arts and they are doing great. This is part of my project in the state.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Moment Africa Designed by Templateism.com Copyright © 2014

Theme images by Bim. Powered by Blogger.